Friday, July 15, 2005

Dreams...

Sleep without dreams is like an empty toffee wrapper. And there's such variety....ranging from the downright hilarious to the most thought-provoking. Or just a bunch of random images. Dreams make sleep worthwhile... or else it would be like one was simply knocked unconscious every night. How drab.

There was a time when all my dreams were dimly lit documentaries on travel. In school, it was C.P. Travels and new routes and missing the school van... In college, it became KSRTC buses, staring at rows of them and wondering which one to board, waiting at bus-stops, and countless journeys... Always travelling. I read somewhere that it means that I feel someone else is controlling my life. Neo in The Matrix, eh ? Not bad... Then it began to include train journeys. Trains with no roofs, trains with the door on the roof....

Then of, course, exams... Exams where I am late, haven't studied a thing...exams where I am running out of time but doing nothing about it, or wandering outside the exam hall, watching other people write....And finally I wake up and think " Oh, that exam was last week. It's all OVER." It's SUCH a WONDERFUL feeling to realise that. A wonderful start for any day...

But the funny thing is, I don't "feel" a thing in my dreams... I never panic. Seeming "nightmares" are the regular stuff of my dreams, but I just think " Oh, that's how it is, isn't it ?... hmmm.." I might be going to die in my dream (ever so often), but I feel this same thing. All kinds of disasters... Lost in jungles, wandering over strange territory, lost from the group in excursions, hiding with fugitives, chased by a pack of dogs, hiding in huge mansions, imminent death in many forms, abductions... Still the same "oh really...hmmm..." reaction. I am genuinely entertained by my nightmares, they are as entertaining as horror movies probably are to most people. When I wake up, I think "Ooh, scary...". But while dreaming, I just sit back and enjoy... And maybe criticise the lighting and the plot. That's one thing... All the dreams have dim lighting. Lack of guts in real life ?

Then there are dreams that defy logic... Like being the only sister of twelve brothers and travelling with them to Africa ( by train, again) to attend my sister's wedding... (which sister ?) on some mountain-top (Kilimanjaro ?). There was even a dream about the end of the world. I was on the terrace, probably night.... and there were meteors raining down on earth, huge swooshing rocks going up in flames... And I thought "How pretty ! So, this is how the world ends...hmmm...".

5 comments:

fr0z3n said...

Hmmmm....

Anonymous said...

but i always get scared when i have nightmares. after all, thats what they are supposed to do !! but man, its been a long times since i had a dream. :P

off the grid : stop self-critisizing, apparently, you are not good at it.

Anonymous said...

I ve felt that way 2!! Now there was this dream in which I was falling off a cliff & it was clear that I was gng 2 die & I was actually enjoying the fall & it wasnt scaring me.

And then there was this fairy tale dream that actually scared me!!

I mean, now whats that all about? Isnt death (especially when its mine) supposed 2 b scary & fairy tales supposed to be pleasant?(confused!!)

BTW I am friend of fr0z3n & the hybrid

fr0z3n said...

done with blogging?

Anonymous said...

The human brain is sentenced to work non stop..right from birth 2 death.so when its not doin things in, what we consider ,the real world it spins out tales while we r unconsious...the virtual world..or dreams.Quite often we realize they r related to our activities of which v were aware.But sometimes our dreams donot make sense.what i have realised is 90% of my dreams r based on thoughts i had at some point of the day.but i was 2 busy to lay any notice on them soon with time i forget i even had those thoughts.So as dreams, they seem out of the blue but really they r recorances of our thoughts.Over the yrs i managed to, 2 some extend, control the dreams,i had by simple making a virtual selection of the subject ..as v do in a video store.But if im dead tired i cant control my dreams n prefer 2 let them take me wherever they wish 2.Sometimes our unconsiousness takes control of our physical state n i have experienced the fall under gravity feel when i dream of being pushed off a cliff.sweating,screeming and jerking awake seem 2 b egs of the same.But we try 2 relate 2 much to our dreams.Just let them b coz w/o them there is no pt to being asleep.Everyday i wonder what story i will listen to, watch n experince at nite.Thats something to look fwd 2 in this otherwise meaningless world.
Goodnight then..have gr8 dreams!